Second Suspect Arrested in Assault of Minnesota Football Player

Philip Nelson dismissed from Rutgers for alleged assault.

May 13, 2014— -- A second man has been arrested in connection with the beating of former Minnesota State football player Isaac Kolstad early Sunday that left Kolstad "fighting for life" with severe head injuries.

Police said today they received tips from witnesses to the altercation and that they were able to identify and arrest Trevor Stenner Shelley, 21, of nearby St. Peter, Minn., on Monday around 6 p.m.

The incident took place in the early morning hours of Sunday outside of the downtown entertainment district in Mankato, Minn. Police made one arrest at the scene after witnesses said that Philip Nelson, a former University of Minnesota football player who transferred to Rutgers University this year, was involved.

Nelson was charged with two counts of assault on Monday. At his arraignment Monday afternoon, his lawyer, Jim Fleming, said it wasn't clear who caused Kolstad's injuries and that Nelson "was not an aggressor in this situation," according to ESPN.

Police said Monday they were searching for an unidentified man in a red shirt and jeans who was seen on surveillance video running from the scene after the incident and is believed to have delivered a blow to Kolstad that knocked him to the ground. Authorities have not yet confirmed this was Shelley.

Minnesota Linebacker Isaac Kolstad Knocked Out by Unknown Man

Rutgers announced today they have dismissed Nelson from the team.

"The Rutgers football family’s thoughts and prayers are with Isaac Kolstad and his family,” Rutgers head coach Kyle Flood said in a statement.

According to details in the arrest report, Nelson and Kolstad were arguing in the street outside of downtown Mankato bars early Sunday morning over Nelson's girlfriend. Kolstad allegedly punched Nelson in the back and then was punched by the unknown man in the red shirt. Nelson then allegedly walked over and kicked Kolstad in the head twice.

Police found Kolstad unresponsive, lying on the street and called an ambulance. He was rushed to the hospital and listed in critical condition with serious brain injuries.