Teen Held Sex Slave and Called FBI Daily, Agent Says

PHOTO: Brandon Todd mugshotPlaySeneca County Sheriff's Office
WATCH Saudi Princess Accused of Human Trafficking

A New York teenager who allegedly kidnapped a woman and held her as a sex slave for more than two weeks called the FBI almost daily during the woman's captivity to tell them he was involved in sex trafficking and had recently "recruited" a woman, according to court documents.

Despite his calls to the FBI, the woman escaped on her own when she faked an asthma attack and was taken to a hospital.

The suspect then called the FBI again to ask for help in locating her, telling an agent he had developed feelings for her.

The allegations and the bizarre string of phone calls are detailed in an affidavit filed in a federal court on July 9 by FBI Agent Barry Crouch, who said he received most of the phone calls from the suspect.

Brandon Todd, 19, was arrested on July 10 and charged with kidnapping across state lines, which has a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.

The FBI, after repeated calls, declined to comment on the case beyond what was stated in the affidavit.

Crouch's report describes a menacing odyssey for a woman identified only as Cooperating Witness 2.

The victim met Todd while she was traveling from Florida to San Diego in April on a cross-country bus to visit her mother and look for work. Todd acted aggressively towards her on the bus, according to the complaint, and suggested that they get a hotel when they arrived in San Diego. The victim agreed, because she was tired and wanted to clean up before seeing her mother, she told Crouch.

On the way to the hotel, Todd allegedly told the victim there was no point trying to escape because he was affiliated with a gang and would have people track her down if she fled. While in San Diego, he broke her phone so she could not be contacted, the agent's affidavit states.

Less than two days after they arrived in California, they boarded another bus for Rochester, N.Y.Todd allegedly coerced the victim to come with him by threatening to kill her parents if she did not board the bus.

According to the affidavit, Todd's grandfather picked the two of them up from the bus station in Rochester and took them to the grandparents' home where Todd lived. The grandfather "would not talk to [the victim], would not look her in the eye, and did not seem to care that she was there," the affidavit said.

The grandparents declined to comment to ABC News.

The victim's mother filed a missing person's report when her daughter did not appear in San Diego, according to court documents.

During the more than two weeks that the woman was allegedly kept captive in Todd's bedroom, Todd would call Crouch almost daily and sometimes put the call on speaker so the victim could hear him talking to the FBI agent, the affidavit states. He told Crouch that "he was involved in human sex trafficking."


"Todd stated that the reason he was calling the FBI was that he had recruited a certain woman, started to have personal feelings for her, and decided he did not want her involved with the trafficking," Crouch wrote.

Todd also wanted to help other girls get out of the sex trade, the document states.

Nevertheless, Todd forced his captive into sex several times a day, beat her with his belt, injured her foot by stomping on it while wearing heavy boots, and only let her sleep four hours a day while laying on the floor with just a towel for comfort, she told Crouch according to the agent's affidavit.

She eventually escaped by faking an asthma attack and contacting her boyfriend while in the hospital. The boyfriend arrived and got her discharged and they drove back to Florida.

After her escape, Todd called Crouch again "hoping the FBI would assist him in locating the woman," Crouch wrote.

Alleged Kidnapper Talked Daily With FBI

The victim was initially reluctant to file a complaint because she had heard Todd talking with Crouch and he had told he was "working with the feds," the agent said.

Todd was previously represented by the Rochester Public Defender's Office, but appeared in the U.S. District Court in Rochester on July 22, and requested a new lawyer. His newly appointed attorney, Mark Funk, told ABC News he could not comment on the case until he had reviewed all of the evidence. He has not entered a plea, and no new court date has been set.