WATERTOWN, N.Y. -- A father and two children died in an early morning house fire in northern New York that sent a teenager out into the cold to plead for help from neighbors.
Three children were taken to a hospital, firefighters said.
There were no working smoke detectors inside the home, which was being rented, Fire Chief Dale Herman told television station WWNY . Investigators said the fire was concentrated around the kitchen stove.
One of the three surviving children, a teenage girl, escaped and alerted a neighbor after fire broke out around 1:30 a.m. Thursday, Herman said.
"The girl was screaming that her house was on fire, and I looked across and saw a massive orange glow," neighbor Bill Bellis told WWNY. "She had on nylon running shorts and a tank top in 10-degree weather out there."
Bellis and another neighbor went to the burning home to help but were unable to enter because of heavy fire and smoke.
The injured were initially taken to a hospital in Watertown before being transferred to Syracuse.
Information from: WWNY-TV, http://www.wwnytv.com