The Latest: Minneapolis agrees to mediation in shooting case

Minneapolis city leaders have agreed to mediation to resolve a lawsuit filed by the family of a black man who was shot and killed by a Minneapolis police officer in 2015

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Latest on a lawsuit filed by the family of Jamar Clark, a black man who was shot and killed by a Minneapolis police officer in 2015 (all times local):

12:15 p.m.

Minneapolis city leaders have agreed to mediation to resolve a lawsuit filed by the family of a black man who was shot and killed by a Minneapolis police officer in 2015.

A federal judge had summoned city leaders to court Wednesday, after he learned that a settlement offer in the case of Jamar Clark had been rejected.

That rejection came the same day the City Council announced a $20 million settlement in the 2017 death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond, who was white. She was killed by a police officer after she approached his squad car. That officer was convicted of murder.

Clark was shot in the head after a struggle with two officers. The county attorney declined to file charges.

An attorney for Clark's father said that he will also file motions in the case to resolve trustee issues.

———

11:20 a.m.

Minneapolis city leaders are in a federal judge's chambers to discuss a lawsuit over the police shooting of a black man in 2015.

U.S. District Judge Michael Davis ordered city leaders to appear in court Wednesday to discuss the case of 24-year-old Jamar Clark.

Before going into chambers, attorneys said in court that the City Council rejected a settlement offer in the Clark case on Friday — the same day they announced a $20 million settlement in the 2017 death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond, who was white. She was killed by a police officer after she approached his squad car. That officer was convicted of murder.

Clark was shot in the head after a struggle with two officers. The county attorney declined to charge the officers, saying an investigation found Clark tried to get an officer's gun.

William Starr, an attorney for Clark's father, James Clark, said in court that the settlement offer in his case was "nominal." He says after it was rejected, he now wants a "transformative settlement" and the case could go to trial.

———

10:10 a.m.

A federal judge in Minnesota has ordered city leaders in Minneapolis to appear in court Wednesday to discuss the status of a lawsuit over the police shooting of a black man in 2015.

Judge Michael Davis' order comes after the city agreed to pay $20 million to settle a lawsuit over the 2017 death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond. Damond, who was white, was shot by a police officer when she approached his squad car minutes after calling 911 to report a possible crime.

That officer was convicted of murder.

The civil suit at issue now involves 24-year-old Jamar Clark, who was shot in the head after a struggle with two officers. The county attorney declined to charge the officers, saying an investigation found Clark was shot after trying to get an officer's gun.