Wounded Man Charged in Texas College Shooting

The alleged shooter and two others were wounded in the gunfire.

HOUSTON Jan. 23, 2013— -- One of three men wounded in a shooting at a Houston college campus has been charged with assault.

Detectives identified the alleged shooter as Carlton Berry, 22, and charged him with aggravated assault. Berry remains in the hospital and is being treated for a gunshot wound, according to the Harris County Sheriff's Office.

Shots were fired on campus of the Lone Star College shortly before 1 p.m. CT Tuesday, causing the campus to go into lock down and some students to be evacuated, according to police.

Police have not identified the other man involved in the fight, but he was also taken to a hospital.

Alan Bernstein with the Harris County Sheriff's Office told ABC News affiliate KTRK that Berry and the other man involved in the fight are in police custody at the hospital. Bernstein said criminal charges are still possible against the unidentified man.

A bystander who was identified as a maintenance man in his 50s was injured by gunfire and also taken to a hospital. The family of the maintenance worker told the college that he is expected to make a full recovery, according to KTRK.

A fourth individual, a woman in her mid-50s, suffered from a medical condition during the incident and was hospitalized and is in stable condition, the college said Tuesday.

Major Armando Tello of the Harris County Sheriff's Department said Tuesday that one of the men involved in the altercation had student identification, but police did not specify who.

Police said they received a call at 12:51 p.m. CT that there were shots fired on the campus. When police arrived at 12:53 p.m., there was no longer an "active shooter situation," they said.

Police immediately apprehended one person of interest and took another into custody within about 90 minutes. The shooting took place in the center courtyard of the campus between two buildings, according to Richard Carpenter, chancellor of the Lone Star College system.

"I didn't think something like this could happen," Luis Resendiz, a student, told The Associated Press. "You don't think about it happening to you."

Resendiz, 22, said he crouched in the room for about 20 minutes before being allowed to leave.

The campus reopened about an hour and a half after the gunshots.

When the shots were fired, the school told all students to seek "shelter in place" in messages and on their website. Officials evacuated some of the students from campus buildings.

"We've had three training exercises for faculty and staff on what to do in an event like this," Richard Carpenter, chancellor of Lone Star College, said.

The shooting comes only a month after the massacre at Sandy Hook elementary school in Newtown, Conn., in which 20 students and six staff members were shot, sparking a wave of attempted copycat crimes in states like California and Indiana.

The Connecticut shooting inspired calls from government officials including President Obama for stricter gun control laws.