Spontaneous Combustion in the House

Some common household may catch fire in the heat.
1:25 | 07/25/16

Coming up in the next {{countdown}} {{countdownlbl}}

Coming up next:



Skip to this video now

Now Playing:


Related Extras
Related Videos
Video Transcript
Transcript for Spontaneous Combustion in the House
The accident here with all those heat advisories across much of this country tonight a warning but a possible danger. When combined with that he common products that may spontaneously ignite setting your home on fire. ABC's duke leaders with one family that says it happen to them. Tonight a wake up call for homeowners these massive flames experts say were caused by common household brought. It's like linseed oil and oil based wood stains. Used to finish further toward tax Shannon pretty says contractors left rags soaked in woods stayed under her Jack. It took just hours for the fire to destroy her whom I had no idea. That this was more possible. We teamed up with Montgomery County fire and rescue in Maryland for a test. Putting linseed oil on some rags in throwing them into a box like you might do after a home project at spontaneously come bus what's a reaches into its ignition temperature. So it's only been about two hours and were already looking at 204. Degrees inside this box. At four and a half hours smoke and at six. The fox burst into flames. One solution. Look at those labels it a warning. Could you step by step how to clean up for your products when your done store those rags and fire safe containers or dry them on concrete away from your house. Steps to keep this. From happening to you. She opened each has ABC news Rockville Maryland.

This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.

{"id":40869575,"title":"Spontaneous Combustion in the House","duration":"1:25","description":"Some common household may catch fire in the heat.","url":"/WNT/video/spontaneous-combustion-house-40869575","section":"WNT","mediaType":"default"}