When she found Presley with the toy, Bjarnson said she didn't know at the time if her son had swallowed the magnets. But Bjarnson, who is a registered nurse, took Presley to the pediatrician the following day as a precaution. An X-ray showed a ring of 18 Buckyballs lodged in his stomach.
"When I first saw that X-ray and saw that it was not one magnet, that it was 18, I panicked," Bjarnson said. "I knew that if they had passed from his stomach into his intestine that he could die. The ultimate, the highest risk was that he could die."
As these high-power magnetic beads travel through the body, doctors said they could stick together, pinching tissue and ultimately puncturing holes in the thin intestinal lining.
While Maxfield & Oberton is purging its inventory, the company said "there are still a few thousand sets of Buckyballs, Buckycubes and Chromatics in stock and available for purchase online."
Frank added that the company was donating 20 percent of its profits from any Buckyballs and Buckycubes purchased until Friday to victims of Hurricane Sandy.
ABC News' Nick Capote contributed to this report.