Chile Earthquake Death Toll Soars Past 700 as Leader Describes 'Catastrophe'

With more than 700 people believed dead and the toll expected to rise, Chilean rescue workers struggled to save people trapped by Saturday's massive earthquake -- including dozens believed to be inside a collapsed apartment block in the city of Concepcion.

The 8.8-magnitude earthquake was one of the most intense ever measured, and has prompted Chilean President Michelle Bachelet to declare a "state of catastrophe" in central Chile. More than half a million homes were destroyed in an event scientists said was 500 times stronger than the earthquake in Haiti.

Bachelet, who leaves office on March 11, sent the army to help police confront looting in the quake zone today, The Associated Press reported, sharply boosted estimates of injuries and said she'd likely appeal for international aid.

VIDEO:Chile Earthquake: Deaths Soar to More Than 700
null

"We are facing a catastrophe of such magnitude that has caused damages that will require gigantic efforts from every sector of our country -- both private and public sector," Bachelet told the media today, according to an ABC News translation. "We face an emergency without precedent in the history of Chile, in which we need fast and urgent answers.

"The latest number that I have is of 708 dead -- 541 in Maule, 64 in Bio Bio, 103 in other regions, and there's a number of people who are still missing," Bachelet said around mid-day. "But I'm almost certain, at this point, that these numbers will continue to rise."

So far, no Americans have been confirmed among the dead. However, with communications in Chile still spotty, approximately 3,000 of about 18,000 Americans believed to be in the country have not been in contact with U.S. officials since the earthquake, according to the State Department.

VIDEO:Chile Learned From 1960, 85 Quakes
null

Aftershocks continued to shake the region.

Fearing that roofs or walls still could crash over them, or because they had no homes to return to, many people in Chile spent the first full night after the earthquake outdoors, ignoring government instructions to stay indoors if homes looked secure. The government estimated at least 1 1/2 million people were displaced by the quake.

"They're afraid to go back in their homes, as anyone would be with aftershocks," said Tracy Reines, international response director of the American Red Cross. "The Chilean Red Cross has about 30 to 40 local Red Cross branches in the area, so they do everything from first aid to food, [and] soon will be emergency shelter and the like."

VIDEO: 8.8 Earthquake Hits Chile
null

Helicopter footage early Sunday showed damage to highways, entire neighborhoods leveled and other areas flooded.

Rescue Effort in a Toppled Apartment Building

In the southwest coastal city of Concepcion -- the second-largest city in Chile with a population of 670,000 -- extensive damage included a newly opened 15-story apartment that toppled backward, trapping an estimated 60 people inside, the AP reported. Rescuers only managed to free 16 in the first 24 hours after the earthquake, and continued to work with two power saws and an electric hammer on a generator that was running out of fuel.

"It's very difficult working in the dark with aftershocks, and inside it's complicated," Paulo Klein, who was leading a group of rescue specialists from Puerto Montt, Chile, told the AP. "The apartments are totally destroyed. You have to work with great caution."

Gas and power lines snapped in the city, starting a fire at the local university, according to the AP.

Looting broke out in Concepcion by Sunday morning.

Page
  • 1
  • |
  • 2
  • |
  • 3
  • |
  • 4
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...