Twinkies might seem like enough of a treat, but this recipe calls for deep frying the cream-filled snack with batter and eating it like a popsicle. To sweeten the deal, there's a recipe for berry sauce, too.
Deep-Fried Twinkies Ingredients
• 6 Twinkies
• Popsicle sticks
• 4 cups vegetable oil
• Flour for dusting
•1 cup milk
• 2 tablespoons vinegar
• 1 Tablespoon oil
• 1 cup flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Chill or freeze Twinkies for several hours or overnight.
2. Heat 4 cups vegetable oil in deep fryer to about 375 degrees.
1. Mix together milk, vinegar and oil. 2. In another bowl, blend flour, baking powder and salt. 3. Whisk wet ingredients into dry and continue mixing until smooth. 4. Refrigerate while oil heats. 5. Push stick into Twinkie lengthwise, leaving about 2 inches to use as a handle, dust with flour and dip into the batter. 6. Rotate Twinkie until batter covers entire cake. 7. Place carefully in hot oil. The Twinkie will float, so hold it under with a utensil to ensure even browning. 8. It should turn golden in 3 to 4 minutes. 9. Depending on the size of your deep fryer, you might be able to fry only one at a time, two at the most. 10. Remove Twinkie to paper towel and let drain. Remove stick and allow Twinkie to sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
Variation: Slice Twinkie into 4 pieces. Flour and batter each before frying. With this treatment, one Twinkie will serve two people if accompanied by a sauce.
• 1 10-ounce jar of seedless raspberry preserves
• 1 cup fresh or frozen mixed berries
1. In a saucepan, heat preserves over low heat until melted.
2. Add 1 cup of fresh or frozen mixed berries.
3. Heat until sauce just simmers.
4. Cover; refrigerate until served.
Makes 1 1/2 cups.
Source: Janet K. Keeler, St. Petersburg Times food editor