Jicama-Avocado Salad With Citrus Vinaigrette
Gluten Free Summer Salad Delight
"The Gloriously Gluten-Free Cookbook," compiled by Vanessa Maltin and published by Wiley, shares this recipe from the kitchen of Chef Edgar Steele of Cafe Atlantico. Jicama is an amazing vegetable that is light, crisp, and fresh. The salad has a strong citrus flavor that is perfectly offset by the saltiness of the corn nuts and the boldness of the Dijon mustard.
For the Citrus Vinaigrette
1. In a small bowl, mix together the juices and mustard. While briskly whisking, slowly add the canola oil until a homogenous mixture is achieved. Add salt to taste.
For the Jicama Salad
1. In a separate bowl, mix together the jicama, onions, corn, and lemon zest. Add the citrus vinaigrette and toss to coat.
2. Place the avocado halves, cut side down, on a cutting board. Cut lengthwise into 1/8 inch thick slices, making sure to keep the original shape of the avocado as you cut. Press down and away lightly on the cut avocado to fan the slices out like a hand of cards. Do the same with the remaining avocado halves. (To prevent the fruit from browning while you work, place a small piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the avocado).
3. Place a large spoonful of the jicama salad in the center of a plate. Being careful not to disrupt the shape of your beautifully cut avocado, place on fanned half of top of the jicama salad.
4. Drizzle a bit of olive oil over the avocado and sprinkle the chives and corn nuts on top. Drizzle a bit of the citrus vinaigrette around the plate and garnish with the cilantro. Sprinkle some sea salt over the entire plate and serve.
-Courtesy Vanessa Maltin,"The Gloriously Gluten-Free Cookbook," from Wiley publishing, available April 26. With the help of chefs Edgar Steele of Cafe Atlantico, Katie Chin of Thai Kitchen, and Keith Brunell of Maggiano's Little Italy, Maltin presents Mexican, Asian and Italian recipes that are both safe and tasty for those suffering from celiac disease, a condition in which people are unable to digest gluten.