Too many chefs may spoil the kitchen, but Good Morning America doesn't think it will do much harm to their studio.
As our "We're Cooking Now" series continues, our GMA family members will continue to reveal their own amazing family recipes.
On Tuesday, News Anchor Robin Roberts wore the chef hat and shared some of her family's time-tested recipes, including a collard green recipe from her grandfather, and a candied sweet potato recipe.
Make Roberts' amazing family dishes for your own loved ones at home. Check out the complete recipes below!
Collard Green Ingredients and Directions:
• 5 meaty ham hocks • 2 large bunches of collard greens • 1 tablespoon sugar
1. Wash five meaty ham hocks well and place them in a heavy large pot with ample water to cover them. Cook for about 1 1/2 hours before adding collard greens.
2. In the meantime carefully separate two large bunches of collard greens. Rinse until water is clear.
3. With fingers tear leaves into small pieces and drop into ham liquid (after it has been cooking for 1 1/2 hours).
4. With a wooden spoon, stir collards until all of them are coated with ham liquid.
5. Sprinkle the collards in liquid with one tablespoon of sugar.
6. Cover pot and simmer for at least 2-3 hours, stirring frequently and adding water as necessary to prevent collards from sticking to pot.
7. Serve collards directly from pot on stove to serving plate. (Roberts' grandfather always use to add a few squirts of bottle pepper sauce to enhance the flavor.)
Sweet Potato Ingredients and Directions:
• 8 Sweet Potatoes • 2 cups sugar • 2 large tablespoons butter
1. Peel and slice sweet potatoes into 1/4" thick slices and place them in the pan.
2. Add 2 cups of sugar, 2 large tablespoons of butter and just enough water to cover bottom of pan. Cook approximately 20 to 30 minutes until syrupy.
* This family meal also includes steamed rice, cornbread and tomato cucumber onion salad marinated in 1/4 cup vinegar, teaspoon sugar, plus salt and pepper to taste.