In your own home, mold might be easier to spot. At work, it could be hidden. Employees recognize that factors that affect mold growth or its spread might not be in their hands, such as the ventilation system, building maintenance, and the cleanliness of the workplace.
Most of the mold-related symptoms -- perhaps, for example, to teachers who work in old school buildings, are not allergenic -- said Bernstein from the University of Cincinnati. They primarily come from working in a damp environment, he added.
"In the work place, you're being exposed to one or more specific agents over a prolonged period of time, and it's harder to change the environment," Bernstein said.
But the occupational allergy and asthma specialists ABCNews.com spoke to did offer some words of wisdom to workers who may be experiencing symptoms while on the job.
"Determine if you feel worse at home or at the office," offered Bernstein.
"Get a handle on what your symptoms are, " suggested Pacheco. "Know when they happen, and what particular activities or exposures seem to trigger them. Figure out what makes them better, and notice whether others are having similar problems."
She advised working with your employer to find ways to modify the environment and the exposure.
"Leaving the job is not the only solution to avoid an occupational allergen, irritant or asthma trigger," said Pacheco. "It's the last resort."
Spring allergy season is here! Visit the ABCNews.com OnCall+ Allergy Center to get all your questions answered about pollen, allergic rhinitis, sinusitis and more.