(HealthDay News) -- Osteoporosis is a condition in which bones become weak, brittle and may break easily.
The National Women's Health Information Center offers these suggestions to help prevent osteoporosis:
- Get plenty of calcium by eating or drinking dairy products, or by taking calcium supplements.
- Get enough vitamin D, through exposure to sunlight (use sunscreen), supplements or milk products.
- Eat a diet rich in vitamins and protein.
- Get enough weight-bearing exercise (where your body works against gravity). Examples include lifting weights or climbing stairs.
- Avoid smoking and excessive alcohol use.
- Take medication to specifically treat or help prevent bone loss.