"If a person comes into the ER and says 'I dropped a computer monitor on my foot,' they're not saying 'I dropped my LCD monitor on my foot' or 'I dropped my cathode ray tube computer monitor on my foot,'" McKenzie explained.
"And even if someone actually did say that, it didn't get down into the notes of the ER staff member," she said.
Perhaps the most concerning revelation from the report was the ever-increasing number of children injured by computers. McKenzie said each year children made up a greater proportion of the already growing numbers of people heading to the emergency room with computer accidents.
"Young children under 5 had the highest overall injury rate, and they had the greatest injury rate increase over any group," said McKenzie. "There are a lot of young children, really young children, using computers these days."
Doctors' safety advice for computers matter follows basic home safety rules: keep heavy objects like computers away from edges and on secured, stable furniture, keep cords secured and out of reach, and keep an eye on the child.
"Computers are not play toys. They are made up of heavy (crushing!), often moveable (catching!) parts, all of which are strung together with wires and cords (strangulation risk!) and then plugged into an electrical source (electrocution risk!)," Dr. Lara Zibners, author of "If Your Kid Eats This Book, Everything Will Still Be Okay," wrote in an e-mail to abcnews.com.
"Children can always find a way to injure themselves and it's obvious that these pieces of equipment are not safe for young children to be around unsupervised," Zibners wrote.