The fire station is only two blocks away from the bridge and "even 30 seconds to a minute buys enough time for them to get there," Phipps said.
Thurston, who now works in sales for IBM, said he believes the group's work is done, now that the opportunities to jump off the bridge are so much more difficult.
"You would have to be pretty strong to jump up to the top of the railing and pull yourself up and there's a spike on the top," he said. "So you would have to be pretty determined ... the barriers on the bridge give a person a chance to pause and rethink."
For help or to report a suicide, contact the National Suicide Prevention Center Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
The following are signs that might indicate the risk of a suicide attempt:
• Talking about wanting to die or to kill themselves;
• Looking for a way to kill themselves, such as searching online or buying a gun;
• Talking about feeling hopeless or having no reason to live;
• Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain;
• Talking about being a burden to others;
• Increasing their use of alcohol or drugs;
• Acting anxious or agitated; behaving recklessly;
• Sleeping too little or too much;
• Withdrawing or isolating themselves.
• Showing rage or talking about seeking revenge.
• Displaying extreme mood swings.