If your New Year’s resolution is to lose weight, Chris and Heidi Powell have a few tips to help jumpstart your healthy habits in 2016.
The husband and wife team behind the hit show "Extreme Weight Loss" appeared on "Good Morning America" today to share their weight loss tips. They also provided added tips from their new book "Extreme Transformation: Lifelong Weight Loss in 21 Days."
1. Move for five minutes every day.
2. Drink a gallon of water every day.
3. Reduce the sugar in your diet. If you swap out one soda a day for water, you'll cut your sugar intake. If you hate the taste of plain water, you can add sugar-free flavor drops to make it taste good. According to the Powells, cutting out one soda drink per day eliminates one-half pound of sugar per week.
4. Cut back on the salt. The Powells said Americans generally eat more than twice the sodium they should, adding that some of the biggest sources of sodium were cold cuts, soup and other canned foods and restaurant meals. Avoid those sources, and when you cook at home, switch to salt-free seasoning, they said.
5. To make sure you go to the gym, they say to pack you gym bag at night before you go to bed so you’ll have no excuses when you awaken the next morning. And they also said to put your alarm clock next to your gym bag and place both items across the room from your bed so you can't hit snooze.
Below are tips from their book, "Extreme Transformation," to help people maintain a healthy lifestyle:
1. Single people should consider dating other fitness-minded people.
2. Start a weight loss website or blog.
3. Start a new career that supports your new lifestyle.
4. Don't fear the scale. Let it be just another tool to help you stay honest and accountable.
5. To make sure you get all the water you need, take 10 gulps every time a water bottle touches your lips and you'll remain hydrated all day long.
Tips courtesy "Extreme Transformation: Lifelong Weight Loss in 21 Days." Copyright Chris Powell and Heidi Powell, courtesy of Hachette Books.