Click HERE for the "Nightline: Platelist" profile of chef Graham Elliot Bowles.
1 lb Cleaned Sashimi-grade Escolar
1 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 T Crushed Cocoa Nibs
2 ea Passion Fruit
TT Fluer de Sel
1. Trim any fat from the escolar and slice into 1/8 inch planks.
2. Cut the passion fruit in half and scoop out the flesh and seeds with a spoon. Discard the husk and reserve the seed for later use.
3. Arrange the fish on plates and dust lightly with the crushed cocoa nib, season with olive oil, fluer de sel and the passion fruit seeds.
1c Cilantro Leaves
½ c Flat Leaf Parsley Leaves
1ea Peeled Shallot
½ T Chopped Jalapeno
1 ea Clove Garlic
1c Ice Water
1. In a blender puree the cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, parsley, shallots and ice water until smooth.
2. Cut the avocados in half and remove the pit. With a spoon scoop the avocado into the blender and puree until smooth.
3. Cut the limes and squeeze the juice into the blender and season the mixture with salt.
4. Pass the puree through a fine mesh strainer and reserve in a squeeze bottle for later use.
2 ea Green Plantains
3 c Canola Oil
½ T Ancho Powder
1. Heat the canola oil in a sauce pan to 325 degrees.
2. With a sharp pairing knife, remove the skin of the plantains and rinse the flesh with cold water.
3. Cut the plantain into 3 segments.
4. With a Japanese mandoline cut long ribbons out of the plantains. Rinse the ribbons in cold water and shake dry.
5. Fry the ribbons in the oil until crispy, drain and toss in a bowl with ancho powder and salt.
Passion Fruit Sorbet:
Makes 1 quart
250g Prepared Passion Fruit Puree
50g Glucose Syrup
15g Glucose Powder
1g 64gs Stabilizer
1ea Fresno Pepper
1. Char the pepper over an open flame or oven and peel.
2. Combine glucose syrup, glucose powder and water in a sauce pan and bring to simmer until the glucose is dissolved.
3. Puree the peeled Fresno and passion fruit until well incorporated. Add the syrup and continue blending until smooth. Sprinkle the stabilizer in the mix.
4. Strain and place base in ice cream machine and spin for 20 minutes.
5. Ice cream machines vary follow manufactures instructions.
6ea Breakfast Radish
Cilantro sprouts or cilantro leaves
Arrange the fish on the plate sprinkle with nibs, radish, cilantro, passion fruit and place a ribbon of plantain over the fish. Squeeze a few dollops of the whipped avocado on the plate. Delicately scoop the sorbet over the fish.
1 ½ qt Milk
1ea Small Spanish Onion
1ea Rib of Celery
1ea Garlic Clove
1ea Small Fennel
2 ea Shallots
3c Frozen Peas
1T Unsalted Butter
1. Slice the onions, celery, shallots, fennel and garlic.
2. Place the butter in a heavy gauged saucepan and sweat the sliced vegetables until the onions are transclucent.
3. Add the milk and bring to a light simmer for ten minutes.
4. Add the frozen peas to the milk mixture and turn off the heat.