Not guilty plea for Aaron Hernandez

ESPNAPI_IMG_NO_ALTEXT_Value

BOSTON -- Former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez gunned down two men he did not know in their car because one of them bumped into him while dancing at a Boston nightclub, spilling his drink, prosecutors said in court Wednesday.

Hernandez pleaded not guilty in Suffolk Superior Court to seven charges in the 2012 shootings that left Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado dead. A third man was wounded.

Hernandez attorney Charles Rankin objected, saying the prosecutor's account of the shootings was an attempt to poison the jury pool. Clerk Magistrate Gary Wilson dismissed the objection.

A family member of one of the victims sobbed loudly as Hernandez entered his not guilty plea.

Prosecutor Patrick Haggan said that in the months leading up the shootings, Hernandez had become increasingly convinced that people "had been testing, trying or otherwise disrespecting him when he frequented nightclubs in the area."

Haggan told the court Hernandez and a friend drove from Connecticut to Boston that night to go to a nightclub called Cure. They were standing at the edge of the dance floor when de Abreu accidentally bumped into Hernandez, smiled at him and did not apologize, according to prosecutors.

Haggan said Hernandez became agitated and told his friend that de Abreu had deliberately bumped him, though neither the victims nor club staff knew Hernandez was upset.

Hernandez and his friend left and went to another club, and Hernandez was convinced de Abreu and his friends had followed them, according to Haggan. The prosecutor said there was no evidence the other men had left Cure.

Haggan said Hernandez drove around until he saw de Abreu, Furtado and their friends going to their car and followed them, pulling up alongside them as they stopped at a red light and opening fire.

Hernandez leaned out the driver's side, said "Yo, what's up now?" followed by a racial slur, then fired at least five shots into the car, killing de Abreu and Furtado, Haggan said.

Hernandez, 24, already faces charges in the 2013 slaying of semipro football player Odin Lloyd. He was released by the Patriots last summer after his arrest in Lloyd's shooting death.

Lloyd's body was found in an industrial park near Hernandez's home in North Attleborough. He'd been dating a sister of Hernandez's fiancee.

Hernandez's lawyers have said he is looking forward to proving his innocence.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

-- This embed didnt make it to copy for story id = 23901482.
Join the Discussion
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...