Jets waive absent Mike Goodson


FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets coach Rex Ryan and several players expressed deep concern Wednesday for the welfare of troubled running back Mike Goodson, who was released earlier in the day after failing to report to a mandatory minicamp.

The team has lost contact with Goodson, who is facing up to 10 years in prison if convicted of a year-old gun-possession charge. Ryan said he hasn't seen or talked to Goodson in two or three months.

Some of his former teammates are alarmed that he hasn't responded to any calls or text messages.

"That's the scariest part," guard Willie Colon said. "Usually, a guy will send you a text and say, 'I'm OK.' Not to hear anything is scary in itself. All you can do is send out prayers to him."

Goodson has dealt with off-the-field issues -- he served a four-game suspension last season for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy -- and the fear in the locker room is that his problems have resurfaced.

"The concern is what kind of state he might be in, where he might be and things he might be doing," wide receiver David Nelson said. "Guys are trying to check in on him, making sure that stuff isn't reoccurring and taking over."

Responding late Wednesday night via e-mail, Goodson's agent, Kennard McGuire, declined to comment on his client's release. In a statement released Tuesday, when Goodson failed to report to minicamp, McGuire said, "Mike must be accountable and responsible for his own actions and comprehend not only effective communication but simple communication."

Goodson has a court date scheduled next Thursday in Morristown, N.J.

Ryan said he last saw Goodson at the start of the offseason program, when he showed up to rehab his surgically repaired knee. Several players said they haven't seen him since the end of last season.

"There's no question, it concerns me," Ryan said. "I've tried to reach out to him but haven't been able to make contact with him."

The Jets expected big things out of Goodson, whom they signed last year to a three-year, $6.9 million contract. He was arrested two months later, starting a downward spiral. Several players said their concern for Goodson transcends football.

"For somebody who has just gone MIA -- nobody can get a hold of him and nobody knows where he is -- that takes it to a different level and it goes beyond football," Nelson said. "Guys aren't reaching out to him because of football. They're reaching out to him because they care about him. They want to know if he's OK.

"That's the element everybody is talking about. At this point, nobody is talking about, 'Why isn't he here practicing?' I think the fear is that we haven't heard from him. That's not a good sign, honestly."

Defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson said Goodson is "being real private about the situation." Asked if it's a sad situation, Richardson said, "I don't think it's sad. It's just a guy who needs help."

Goodson also failed to attend the voluntary portion of the offseason. The Jets released him with a "left squad" designation, a technicality that may allow them to avoid paying an injury settlement. Goodson is eight months removed from major knee surgery.

  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...