Stewart's chow chow, 5-month-old Ghengis Khan, was killed Friday when the Pazzazz Pet Boarding kennel in eastern Pennsylvania exploded after a propane tank ignited, setting the facility on fire. A total of 17 dogs were killed in the fire.
According to reports, officials said that a spark or static electricity could have been responsible for the fire, and that while the investigation is ongoing, the incident is being considering an accident.
Stewart declined to comment directly to ABCNews.com but said in a posting on her blog that she was "deeply saddened" by the death of her dog. A representative for Stewart declined to specify why Ghengis Khan was at the kennel and not at Stewart's home at the time of the fire.
Joseph Lyman, the CEO of the Pet Care Services Association -- a nonprofit group that promotes professional standards of pet care -- said pet owners should make sure to thoroughly research the facilities where they board their animals to verify that they're equipped to handle emergencies like the one that killed Stewart's dog.
"The biggest point that pet owners should think about when boarding their pets is safety," Lyman said. "Does the facility have an adequate number of individuals in position to be able to overcome some of the obstacles that could arise at a kennel?"
While the degree to which kennels must be inspected in order to receive licenses varies from state to state, Lyman said Pet Care Services Association offers Voluntary Facilities Accreditations for those kennels that want to be certified under the organization's standards.
Lyman said that looking for kennels that have received VFAs on the organization's Web site is a good starting point when choosing your pet's next boarding facility.
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals estimates that about 63 percent of all households in the United States have a pet -- 75 million of which are dogs and 85 million of which are cats.
Emily Weiss, the ASPCA's senior director of shelter research and development, and a certified applied animal behaviorist, told ABCNews.com that the best thing a pet owner can do when trying to find a suitable kennel is to go and visit it in person.
"Walk through the facility and do your own safety check," Weiss said.
"Look at what the kennels and the suites are like and look for signs that say that safety is on the mind of the employees," Weiss said. "Fire extinguishers should be present and there should be clearly marked fire exits."
Weiss said that asking employees what their plan is in the case of an emergency evacuation is also a good idea.
"It's always good to put your own eyes on the facility," Weiss said. "Whoever owns the facility might be well-respected, but they're probably not the ones taking care of your dogs every day. Meet the employees."
One of the biggest mistakes pet owners can make when boarding their pets is to simply assume that the facility is licensed, according to Weiss.