Two more deaths are now attributed to listeria strains from the Jensen Farms cantaloupe recall, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced today.
The new deaths, one each in Colorado and New Mexico, have raised the total number of fatalities to 15 in what has become the most deadly listeria outbreak in more than a decade.
In addition, new infections surfaced in Alabama and Arkansas, and five other states that had already confirmed matching listeria strains reported an increase, bringing the total number of people infected by the bacteria to 84.
The news comes one day after the latest listeria lawsuit filed by Donna Wells Lloyd, the daughter of Clarence Wells.
Wells, who lived with his daughter and her husband in a suburb of Baltimore, purchased a cantaloupe at a farmers' market on the border of his home state and Pennsylvania. Investigators are still trying to determine whether or not that cantaloupe, or the ones his family purchased from a large chain store, came from Jensen Farms.
He began experiencing symptoms in late August when he gained 9 pounds from fluid retention and had difficulty breathing, Lloyd told ABCNews.com.
"Two days before he didn't feel like eating," she said, but other than that, he hadn't complained of any other problems. The weight gain, however, "was extremely different than any other time he had been sick," she said.
Lloyd called her father's doctor, who immediately told her to take him to the hospital, where his health continued to decline. By Aug. 31 his temperature had spiked to 104 because of "a huge blood infection," Lloyd said.
Doctors intubated and sedated Wells, but he eventually lost consciousness, and never woke up. He died that evening.
In September the Baltimore County Health Department told Lloyd her father's blood had tested positive for listeria, and the Maryland Department of Health recently confirmed the strain found in Wells' body was one of the four strains involved in the listeria outbreak.
Clarence Wells had been a "news junkie," Lloyd said, would often point out what he could and couldn't eat based on the latest recalls. But the cantaloupe recall didn't happen until Sept. 14, so he had no way of knowing.
"I was shocked," Lloyd said. "It's almost surreal when you look at the numbers, and it was just these few people [who were infected] … kind of horrified because it's the stuff you hear about for everyone else."
Jensen Farms has recalled their entire 2011 cantaloupe harvest, including more than 300,000 cases distributed from July 29 through Sept. 10 to 25 states.
Eric Jensen, co-owner of the Granada, Colo., farm that grew the contaminated cantaloupes recently told the Associated Press that he's mystified as to what could have caused the outbreak. He couldn't comment further because of pending litigation.
"There are a lot of things I'd like to say right now, but now is not the time," Jensen told the AP.
Government health agencies are continuing to investigate.
"We'll be looking at water quality. We'll be looking at the growing practices, the harvesting practice," Food and Drug Administration senior adviser Dr. Sherri McGarry said Thursday. "We'll also be looking at the process within the facility for packing and potentially rinsing the cantaloupes themselves and how they were stored and whether there's amplification in that process."