NASCAR driver Tony Stewart will return to competition this weekend for the first time since being involved in a crash that killed another driver.
A schedule on Stewart's website says the driver will compete in the ORAL-B USA 500 at the Atlanta Motor Speedway this Sunday.
Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR executive vice president, said Stewart "has received all necessary clearances required to return to all racing activities, and therefore is eligible to compete this weekend. ... NASCAR has remained in constant contact with his race team, and we will stay very close to this situation as Stewart returns to competition."
Kevin Ward Jr., 20, was killed earlier this month after he got out of his car in what looked like an attempt to confront Stewart during a sprint car event at Canandaigua Motorsports Park in upstate New York. Video of the incident shows Ward gesturing towards Stewart's vehicle as he walked out of his own car and towards the center of the racetrack where he was run over by Stewart's car.
Ontario County Sheriff Philip Povero said earlier this month that authorities had not found any evidence of criminal behavior, however he said the district attorney would review the case.
After the incident, the three time NASCAR champion pulled out of his upcoming races and said "there aren't words" for the sadness he felt after Ward was killed.