Fourteen people were treated for injuries, most of which were minor, according to hospital officials. Six had already died by the time rescuers found them in the rubble.
During the search on Wednesday, rescue workers detected cell phone signals that led them to believe there were additional people buried after the first 14 people were pulled out. They searched for cell phone signals in the debris to find additional people, according to Nutter's office.
Two construction workers that were doing work on nearby buildings told the Philadelphia Inquirer today that they watched the demolition in disbelief because of the unsafe practices of the demolition workers.
"Never in all my years have I ever, ever, ever seen this," Steve Cramer told the paper. "It was just a total disregard for safety. We [predicted] this last week. I can't believe they allowed the thrift store to be open."
Joe Hauser, another worker, echoed Cramer's concerns, saying that he was planning on saying something to the workers on the very day of the collapse.
"I said, 'That's it, at lunch I'm going to go over there and say something, I have to, I can't go with this no more,'" Hauser told the paper.
On Wednesday, Williams and Nutter said that the building had up-to-date permits for the demolition, noting that both the owner and construction company had their paperwork in order.
The property's owner, STB Investments of New York City, released a statement Wednesday expressing sympathy for the victims.
Richard Basciano, an owner of the company, owned many properties in Philadelphia and New York and was once dubbed "the undisputed king of Times Square porn" in New York newspapers because of his ownership of adult businesses.
"Our thoughts and prayers go out to the people affected by this tragic event. Please know that we are committed to working with the City of Philadelphia and other authorities to determine what happened today," the statement read.