Think you might be Mensa material? Test yourself with this sample quiz, and then check the answers on the next page.
1. Pat likes books but not magazines, she likes going to shows but not the ballet, and she likes movies but not pictures. By the same rules, will she like videos or tapes?
2. Begin with the number of sisters in the group of colleges called by that number; add the number of witches in Macbeth; multiply by the number of feet in a fathom and divide by 2. What do you have?
3. What is the number that is double one-half of one-fourth of one-tenth of 80,000?
4. Col. Browning-Browning Burnt is a liar! He was caught by the butler at the castle where he was a guest, while entertaining his host with tales of his tiger-hunting exploits in Africa. How did the butler know he was a fake?
5. Can you think of an American tree that has a name containing all five vowels?
6. Eight years ago, Jane was twice as old as Ryan. Two years ago, she was as old as Ryan is now. Now Ryan is five-sixths as old as Jane. How old are they now?
7. To the best of our knowledge, only one other word can be made from all of the letters in the word CREATIVITY. Can you figure out what it is?
8. If three typists can type nine pages in one and a half hours, how many pages can nine typists type in three hours?
9. In a foot race, Jerry was neither first nor last. Janet beat Jerry, Jerry beat Pat. Charlie was neither first nor last. Charlie beat Rachel. Pat beat Charlie. Who came in last?
10. What is the 11-letter word that all smart people spell incorrectly?
Answers on next page.
Mensa quiz answers:
1. Videos. She likes words with "O."
2. 30 (7 sisters + 3 witches = 10 X 6 feet in a fathom = 60 / 2 = 30)
3. 2,000 ( 80,000 / 10 = 8,000; / 4 = 2,000; / 2 = 1,000; X 2 = 2,000)
4. Tigers don't live in Africa.
6. Jane is 12, Ryan is 10.
7. Reactivity. Did you find another?
8. 54 pages (Each typist can type 1 page in half an hour. Each of the 9 typists can type 6 pages in 3 hours, for a total of 54 pages.)
Scoring: Count the number of correct answers.
9-10 -- Mensa Material! Try to join.
7-8 -- Good chance you qualify for Mensa.
5-6 -- Not bad, you might make Mensa.
Below 5 -- You must have had a bad day. Try again.
Quiz designed by Dr. Abbie F. Salny.