New Photos of Baby Stolen From Dead Mother's Womb

PHOTO: Julie Cory, accused of ripping fetus from the womb of Darlene Haynes.

Beaming at a newborn baby in their arms, Julie Corey, 35, and her boyfriend, Alex Dion, 27, look every bit the part of proud, adoring parents.

But despite their smiles, the new photos that have surfaced of the couple and the baby show nothing more than a sham concocted by Corey, who is accused of kidnapping the baby, who was cut from the womb of her dead mother, Darlene Haynes.

Since Corey was arrested in Plymouth, N.H., Wednesday night, members of her family have revealed how devasted they were to learn that they had been duped into believing that Corey had given birth to a baby girl she had in allegedly stolen.

"It's killing me. I've got a hole in my heart," Cindy Dion, the mother of Alex Dion, told The Associated Press.

Corey is being held in New Hampshire on $2 million bail on suspicion of kidnapping, and is fighting extradition to Massachusetts. No one has yet been charged in Haynes' death.

Corey's Behavior Allegedly Odd During Pregnancy

She said Corey looked like she was expecting when the family threw a shower for her in May, although she said that upon reflection, Corey's behavior seemed unusual throughout the supposed pregnancy. Corey told the family she was four months' pregnant in April but then said she was eight months' pregnant the following month, The Associated Press reported.

Cindy Dion said her son was beside himself when he told her that the baby wasn't theirs.

"He cried so hard he couldn't catch his breath," she said. "I had to climb over the front seat and sit with him. And he hugged me like he was a little kid."

Corey was arrested alongside Alex Dion after friends tipped off police when she showed up with a baby and no one knew she had been pregnant. Later, Dion was released.

Public records for both Corey and Dion indicate they had lived at 94 Southgate St., the same building where the mutilated body of Darlene Haynes, 23, was found wrapped in bedding and stuffed in a closet.

Corey had apparently taken the baby to New Hampshire where she was staying at a homeless shelter, according to a police statement.

Haynes' infant daughter was found alive with Corey and Dion. After spending a few days at Speare Memorial Hospital in Plymouth, the little girl they called "Baby Jane Doe" was to be released into Massachusetts state custody.

Several members of Haynes' family told they had never heard of Julie Corey before her arrest, but were relieved that the baby, whom Haynes wanted to name Sheila Marie, was safe.

Haynes' uncle Karl Whitney said today that he was grateful that at least Corey cared for the child the way that she did."

"She kept the baby alive," he said. "If she hadn't, we'd probably all be looking at far more different circumstances."

Whitney said it was unclear who would get custody of the little girl. Haynes' ex-boyfriend Roberto Rodriguez was believed to be the father of the child, he said, and between him and extended family on both sides there are numerous options for officials.

Haynes, who was eight months pregnant when she was killed, was a mother to three other children: Jasmine, 5; Lilli, 3; and Christina, 18 months. Christina was being raised by Haynes and Rodriguez, but the family has said that Haynes had a troubled relationship with Rodriguez and had taken out a restraining order against him more than three weeks ago.

  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...