The parent company of the Cub Foods grocery store chain expanded a ground beef recall Saturday after 21 people were sickened by E. coli bacteria.
Michael Wright, CEO of Eden Prairie-based Supervalu, said ground beef contaminated with E. coli had been traced to Green Bay, Wis., meatpacker American Foods Group Inc. Phone messages left late Saturday with American Foods Group were not immediately returned.
Cub Foods announced Friday that it was removing all fresh ground beef from its Minnesota stores and two Wisconsin stores after investigators with the Minnesota Department of Health linked its ground beef to 17 E. coli infections.
Supervalu expanded the recall on Saturday to include other Supervalu stores in Minnesota as well as Cub Foods stores in Chicago and Indianapolis after health officials reported four new Minnesota cases, including a 2-year-old who had developed a potentially fatal kidney infection from E. coli poisoning.
Other stores involved in the recall include County Markets, Kowalski’s and Jerry’s, all of which get ground beef from Supervalu.
Symptoms of E. coli poisoning include bloody diarrhea, dehydration, headache and nausea. The bacteria can be killed by cooking meat to an internal temperature of 160 degrees.