Florida Boy, 7 Months Old, Dies After Eating Detergent Pod

The colorful packets of laundry detergent are raising safety concerns among parents.
1:21 | 08/15/13

Coming up in the next {{countdown}} {{countdownlbl}}

Coming up next:

{{nextVideo.title}}

{{nextVideo.description}}

Skip to this video now

Now Playing:

{{currentVideo.title}}

More information on this video
Enhanced full screen
Explore related content
Comments
Related Extras
Related Videos
Video Transcript
Transcript for Florida Boy, 7 Months Old, Dies After Eating Detergent Pod
And next, back to a danger in the home we have told you about on "wod news." The popular laundry detergent pods that look like candy and can attract children to eat them. Now they are being linked to a tragic death of a child. Abc's lisa stark has that story. Reporter: The colorful pods filled with highly concentrated detergent look like candy. You can see that here, the pod on the left, the candy on the right. It was a 7-month-old florida boy who died after swallow one. This is a growing problem. Last year poison control centers received 6200 calls. This year already more than 5700 cases. Consumer groups have been calling for changes for over a year. What we would really like to see is a coating on the product to keep kids from swallow, something that makes it taste bitter. Keep all products out of reach of children. Reporter: Proctor and gamble makes tide pods. That was not the brand swallowed by the inflant. It has changed its packaging to a new orange opaque container and there is a triple latch, all in an effort to keep it out of those little hands. Tonight a high flying tragedy for the man who stole

This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.

{"id":19975942,"title":"Florida Boy, 7 Months Old, Dies After Eating Detergent Pod","duration":"1:21","description":"The colorful packets of laundry detergent are raising safety concerns among parents.","section":"WNT","mediaType":"Default"}