How Pet Food May Be Making Your Child Sick

Research suggests many salmonella outbreaks in children from dry pet food.

ByABC News
August 6, 2010, 3:26 PM

Aug. 9, 2010— -- Many of us consider our pet cats and dogs so much a part of the family that we share everything from couch space to kitchen space. It seems the spaces we share may harbor bacteria hazardous to our health.

A new study published Monday in Pediatrics suggests that some young children of pet owners may get salmonella poisoning just by touching surfaces that come into contact with dry cat and dog food.

Researchers analyzed a national database of foodborne illness cases from 2006 to 2008 and found that some salmonella outbreaks in some children originated from pets fed dry foods in the kitchen.

"It looks as though the children were around the food bowl, handled it, played with it, maybe played with the water in the water bowl and it was that kind of association that led to the transmission of salmonella," said Dr. William Schaffner, chairman of preventive medicine at Vanderbilt University. "It would appear that the little children didn't eat the pet food, but I would question what parent would admit to that in a questionnaire."

The released research comes at the heels of a voluntary recall issued by the Food and Drug Administration on Iams Veterinary Dry Formulas, and certain Eukanuba dry foods for possible salmonella contamination. Proctor & Gamble Pet Care, manufacturer of the recalled foods, declined comment on the recall and referred ABC News to the FDA's press release for information on the recall.

"For years you've been hearing about the risk of raw diets, but now we know there's the same risk in processed foods as well," said Dr. Marty Becker, veterinarian at the North Idaho Animal Hospital.

Salmonella contamination usually begins in the factory where pet food is made. According to ABC News senior health and medical editor Dr. Richard Besser, after the dog or cat food is processed, it is sent to a special room where the food pellets are coated with flavoring to make them taste good.

"Because this room is moist, it's a perfect environment for salmonella to grow," said Besser. "And that salmonella can live on those food pellets for months.