— -- Eight workers have been hospitalized after possible lead paint exposure at the US Capitol complex.
Several cafeteria workers in the Longworth House Office Building were evaluated; eight were taken to area hospitals as a precaution and all injuries are reported to be minor. Police shut down roads around the Capitol as they investigated the incident.
According to a memo sent to Capitol employees, "during the Longworth Cafeteria renovation work overnight, there had been a potential release of lead paint dust in the kitchen area. The area that was initially impacted was not being used for food preparation."
It was not clear if the workers tested positive for lead after the possible exposure.
The Capitol Police Hazardous Response Team has cleared the building, but the cafeteria remains closed as more tests are being performed.
ABC News' Ben Siegel contributed to this report.