Presidential candidate Donald Trump has asked the FBI to look into a threatening tweet he received in the wake of a post on the social network he wrote about Mexican drug lord El Chapo, who recently escaped from prison, ABC News has learned.
Interested in ?
Add as an interest to stay up to date on the latest news, video, and analysis from ABC News.Sources tell ABC News Trump contacted the FBI’s Office in Manhattan on Monday.
The tweet from user @ElChap0Guzman, originally in Spanish, reads: “Keep [expletive] around and I'm gonna make you swallow your [expletive] words...” It was not clear who owns the account.
Trump has been tweeting about El Chapo’s escape to bolster his claims on immigration and border security.
El Chapo and the Mexican drug cartels use the border unimpeded like it was a vacuum cleaner, sucking drugs and death right into the U.S.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 13, 2015
The joke around town is that I freed El Chapo from the Mexican prison because the timing was so good w/ my statements on border security.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 13, 2015
“I'm fighting for much more than myself," Trump said in a statement Monday. "I'm fighting for the future of our country which is being overrun by criminals. You can't be intimidated. This is too important."
A massive manhunt is currently under way for Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, who escaped over the weekend from a maximum security prison in Mexico.
The leader of the Sinaloa cartel escaped from the Altiplano prison, 55 miles west of Mexico City, shortly before 9 p.m. Saturday, said Monte Alejandro Rubido, the head of Mexico's National Security Commission. He had been arrested in February 2014 after more than 10 years on the run.
Trump has been in the middle of a heated debate since raising the issue of illegal immigration when he announced his candidacy last month.
“When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best,” Trump said in his announcement speech. “They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.” Since making those remarks, many companies including Univision, NBC and Macy’s have ended their business relationship with Trump.
ABC News’ Aaron Katersky contributed to this report.








































