Wife Living a 'Nightmare' When Husband Dies After Fight in Stadium Parking

Investigators have ruled Kyle Van Winkle's death a homicide.

Dec. 12, 2013— -- The wife of a Missouri man who mysteriously died outside a football stadium after getting into an altercation with another person says she can't understand the "senseless" tragedy that has consumed her family.

Kyle Van Winkle, 30, of Smithville, Mo., was found unconscious outside Arrowhead Stadium Dec. 1 while the Kansas City Chiefs were playing the Denver Broncos, according to police. Kansas City investigators have ruled his death a homicide, but say it could be weeks before they know what exactly killed Van Winkle.

"It's completely senseless. I can't even wrap my mind around it sometimes," Van Winkle's wife, Jenni, told ABC News. "I wake up every single day with the same nightmare."

Van Winkle also leaves behind a 7-week-old son named Will.

"I try to move forward and I get up and I take care of Will because I know that's just what Kyle would want and unfortunately my life, now, is a reality that I never thought that I would have to be in," Jenni Van Winkle said with tears in her eyes.

Kyle Van Winkle left his seat during the game to go to the restroom but he never returned, according to his father Dean Van Winkle, who also attended the game.

"I was with him from start to finish that day at the tailgating. Most everybody in our group had some kind of drinks," Van Winkle said.

Van Winkle, a police sergeant, said his son didn't appear to be intoxicated.

Kyle Van Winkle apparently left the stadium and went to the parking lot, where he got into a green Jeep that looked like the vehicle he came to the game in, Kansas City police spokesman Tye Grant said last week.

The Jeep's owner found Van Winkle inside the vehicle and investigators say a struggle ensued and Van Winkle collapsed.

Police responded to a disturbance call around 5:20 p.m. in Lot A at Truman Sports Complex, where Arrowhead Stadium is located. Van Winkle was taken to a hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Four people were taken into custody for questioning following the incident, but no one was charged.

"There's just too much unknown there, so it makes it difficult for everybody but it's also something I recognize as some of this may never be figured. I certainly don't have the answers," Dean Van Winkle said.

An education fund has been established for Kyle Van Winkle's son. Donations should be made out to:

Jennifer M. Van Winkle beneficiary of Kyle A. Van Winkle Memorial Fund Community America Credit Union P.O. Box 15950 Lenexa, Kan., 66285-5950.