Woman blows off fingers after mistaking stick of dynamite for candle: Report

The family had lost power and found a box of what they thought were candles.

September 07, 2018, 6:08 PM

A woman in Connecticut blew her fingers off after mistaking a stick of dynamite for a candle, ABC New York station WABC reported.

The woman's home -- on Lindley Street in Bridgeport, Connecticut — had lost power after a thunderstorm Thursday night, and the family came back from a trip to Home Depot empty-handed, since the store was closed, WABC reported, citing the Bridgeport Fire Marshal's Office.

The family then remembered that there was a box of what they believed to be candles in the basement that had been left by the previous resident, fire officials said.

PHOTO: Power went out on Lindley Street in Bridgeport, Conn., prompting the family to search for candles in the basement.
Power went out on Lindley Street in Bridgeport, Conn., prompting the family to search for candles in the basement.
WABC

The victim lit a quarter-stick of dynamite and suffered serious injuries to her face and loss multiple fingers in her hands.

The woman, in her 30s and the mother of two children, was transported to a local hospital after the accident.

PHOTO: Yale New Haven Hospital in Connecticut is pictured in this undated image from Google.
Yale New Haven Hospital in Connecticut is pictured in this undated image from Google.
Google

Neighbors heard a loud explosion inside the house.

The woman's entire family -- including a small child -- was home, but no one else was injured, according to firefighters.

Fire officials described the incident as a tragic accident.

PHOTO: Dynamites are pictured in this undated stock photo.
Dynamites are pictured in this undated stock photo.
STOCK PHOTO/Getty Images

Members of the Bridgeport Fire Department and Connecticut State Police removed another dynamite device from the home, later detonated and disposing of it, according to WABC.

Other homes in the area were also searched as a precaution.

Although it is illegal to possess dynamite, fireworks or firecrackers in Connecticut, charges are not expected to be file since the family had no prior knowledge that they were in the possession of explosive devices.

ABC News Live

ABC News Live

24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events