Ex-'Survivor' Producer Bruce Beresford-Redman Willing to Turn Self In

The attorneys for a reality TV producer who has been accused of killing his wife in a Cancun, Mexico, resort say he is "prepared to surrender himself" should Mexico seek his extradition.

Responding today to recent reports that a formal request had been made by Mexican authorities for U.S. assistance in the extradition of Bruce Beresford-Redman, attorneys Richard Hirsch and Victoria Podberesky said, "the news, if true, is troubling and confirms our belief that the investigation into Monica [Beresford-Redman]'s death has not been conducted in an objective, reasonable and exhaustive manner."

VIDEO: A Mexican judge is determining whether issue an arrest warrant.
Murder Charges Expected Against 'Survivor' Producer

On April 8, Monica Beresford-Redman was found dead in a sewer located within the posh resort where she was vacationing with her husband and two young children. Mexican officials cited "asphyxiation by suffocation" as the cause of her death.

Bruce Beresford-Redman, who has worked as a producer on the reality shows "Survivor" and "Pimp My Ride," returned to Los Angeles County in late May as the investigation continued into his wife's death in Mexico.

His attorneys said in an earlier statement that "he had no legal obligation to remain in Mexico." At the time, Beresford-Redman was considered a suspect.

Soon after his return, Beresford-Redman was charged by Mexican authorities with the murder of his wife.

"Mr. Beresford-Redman remains prepared to defend himself in a court of law and to answer any and all charges against him," his attorneys said in the new statement. "He is prepared to surrender himself to the United States Federal Court should extradition proceedings be initiated, and his counsel have contacted the appropriate federal authorities to apprise them of this."

Beresford-Redman has spent much of his recent weeks with his children at the Rancho Palos Verde, California, home he had shared with wife.

"Few people understand or report that he is actually a grieving widower," said Stephen Jaffe, a media consultant for Bruce Beresford-Redman's family. "As a father, he has been diligent and tried to maintain some semblance of normalcy for his children's sake."

However, the couple's children, Camila, 5, and Alec, 3, remain in the temporary custody of Bruce Beresford-Redman's parents.

Monica Beresford-Redman's sisters are fighting for guardianship of the children and a custody trial is scheduled for November.

The sisters have questioned Bruce Beresford-Redman's claim of innocence and have said through their attorney that their sister's death was a "brutal act of domestic violence."

Ex-'Survivor' Producer Took Out Life Insurance Policies on Wife

Shortly before Mexican authorities charged Beresford-Redman with murder, ABC News confirmed he took out two life insurance policies on his wife a week before her body was found.

Sources told ABC News that one of those life insurance policies paid out $50,000 in case of accidental death while traveling. The other would pay $500,000. The policies were also taken out on the couple's children.

The policies were purchased in late March, one from Worldwide Insurance, the other from InsureMyTrip.com.

Hirsch confirmed the existence of the policies but said the beneficiaries are the children, not his client.

ABC News' Emily Friedman contributed to this report.

Page
  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...