Here are other simple tips from coupon enthusiasts Kay and Engels to keep you from breaking the bank:
• Use a list: An organized list minimizes time spent in the store, keeps the "buy" on target, helps avoid impulse buying and serves as a reminder of sale prices.
• Never shop when you are hungry: You'll be tempted to buy products you don't need.
• Leave your children with a neighbor: "Children are always hungry and will bully you into buying junk they don't need — take it from a busy mother of seven," says Kay.
• Search high and low for bargains: Many of the bargains are located on the top and lower shelves. The pricey, expensive items are at eye level.
• Download apps such as Coupon Sherpa and Yowza to regularly save 30 percent or more in the stores: These apps use ZIP codes to bring you the good deals, show you the stores that accept coupons and help you find the best values.
WALB contributed to this report.