Unclaimed Money: 'GMA' Helps Viewers Cash In on Unredeemed U.S. Savings Bonds, Forgotten Funds


How Find Unclaimed Money

Leamy answered: You'll use these same websites, but then you're going to need some identifying information to know that it's your dad and his money. You're going to need his Social Security number and even more so, you're going to need every past address that he lived at that you can get your hands on. If you find something, you're of course going to have prove that you're the rightful heir and you'll also need a death certificate to prove that he has passed away.

4. Joyce from Chicago, Ill., wrote: "My mother bought some savings bonds for me many years ago. I can't find the paperwork. What can I do to locate these bonds? Is there a central location where I can find them?"

Leamy answered: The Treasury Department has the "Treasury Hunt" website where you can search for savings bonds in your family's name. All you have to do is put in your Social Security number and Social Security number of the person who gave you the bond and the site returns results instantly. Click here and scroll to the bottom of the page to try it out.

You Asked, We Answered: Expert answers more of your unclaimed money questions here!

CLICK HERE for 11 ways to find unclaimed cash.

CLICK HERE to read our step-by-step guide to how to find unredeemed savings bonds!

CLICK HERE for tips and tricks on finding unclaimed money left by a loved one.

-- This embed didnt make it to copy for story id = 13855417.
  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...