Successful sitcom "Two and Half Men" could be down a man. Star Charlie Sheen, who has been grappling with legal problems stemming from a Christmas Day fight with wife Brooke Mueller, reportedly wants out.
People magazine reported Thursday that after seven seasons, Sheen is ready to call it quits after this season's final taping on April 9.
"He wants to move on," a friend of the actor told the magazine. "Leaving is 100 percent his idea."
Sheen's rep Stan Rosenfield told ABCNews.com today, "While he has told friends that, he has made no announcement, made no statement or addressed any aspect of this story."
A source close to Sheen told The Associated Press that Sheen has tired of the weekly demands of a sitcom and wants to focus more on movies. He will star in the upcoming film "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps," a sequel to the 1987 "Wall Street" in which he also starred.
"Two and a Half Men," which co-stars Jon Cryer, is television's top-rated comedy and an important part of CBS' Monday night lineup. Last year, the network renewed the show for three years, through the 2011-12 season, but Sheen's contract is up at the end of the current season.
Sheen reportedly turned down an offer to sign a contract for an eighth season. Rosenfield told People that Sheen's deal is only through the current season.
But such reports could be part of a bargaining strategy by Sheen to get more money. TMZ reports that Sheen, who currently makes $825,000 an episode, is asking for $1.5 million. Warner Bros., which produces the show, is offering around $1 million an episode.
TMZ and Warner Bros. are both owned by parent company Time Warner.
Also, Sheen, who recently completed a stint in rehab and could be facing a possible jail sentence, may not be willing to walk away from a show paying him that much money.
Last month, the actor appeared at an arraignment hearing in an Aspen, Colo., courtroom to plead not guilty to felony and two misdemeanor charges stemming from his Christmas Day arrest for allegedly assaulting Mueller.
Sheen looked calm and confident upon his arrival at the courthouse, flashing a peace sign to swarming papparazzi. His lawyer, Richard Cummins, entered the plea. A trial date has been set for July 21.
In February, Sheen voluntarily entered a rehab facility -- for the third time in his career -- "as a preventative measure." Rosenfield didn't specify why the actor was seeking treatment (online wags dubbed the stint "prehab"). At the same time, Mueller checked into a separate rehab center, but left a few days later after her counselors agreed she was fit to live at home as long as experts monitored her.
"Brooke's recovery efforts have been superb," her attorney, Yale Galanter, told People magazine on Feb. 27. "She has been able to interact with her twin sons Bob and Max which has been instrumental in her recovery and ability to take the rehab team home with her. She is thrilled to be back in her own house."
Sheen hasn't had an easy few months since his Dec. 25 arrest. In February, his Mercedes was stolen and found overturned in a ravine, 300 to 400 feet down a cliff near his Sherman Oaks, Calif., home.
Sheen, 44, was arrested on Christmas Day in Aspen, Colo. for second-degree assault, menacing and criminal mischief after Mueller, 32, called 911 and tearfully choked, "My husband had me with a knife. I was scared for my life and he threatened me." She described the knife as a "switchblade."
In an audio recording of a 911 call, a woman who identifies herself as Brooke tells the dispatcher that her husband threatened her with a knife and added, "I thought I was going to die for one hour."
When asked her husband's name, she waits before admitting "It's Charlie Sheen," and starts crying.
ABCNews.com's Sheila Marikar and The Associated Press contributed to this report.