Warner Bros. Holds 'Dark Knight Rises' Box Office Numbers 'Out of Respect'

VIDEO: David Muir has complete coverage of the tragic shooting.
Share
Copy

In the wake of the mass shooting at a Colorado movie theater during a midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises," Warner Bros. announced it would hold off reporting the film's opening grosses.

"Out of respect for the victims and their families," the studio said in a statement to ABC News. "Warner Bros. Pictures will not be reporting box office numbers for 'The Dark Knight Rises' throughout the weekend. Box office numbers will be released on Monday."

This is an unprecedented move because the practice of releasing box office numbers for an opening weekend is standard for Warner Bros. and most major Hollywood studios.

James Holmes, 24, is accused of opening fire on unsuspecting moviegoers Friday during a sold-out midnight screening of the new "Batman" film at a mall in Aurora, Colorado, killing 12 people and injuring 58 others. Police said the alleged shooter was wearing a gas mask and was dressed in body armor.

"Words cannot express the horror that I feel. I cannot begin to truly understand the pain and grief of the victims and their loved ones, but my heart goes out to them," said Christian Bale who plays Bruce Wayne/Batman in "The Dark Knight Rises" in a statement Saturday.

Christopher Nolan, director of "The Dark Knight Rises," called the mass shooting a "senseless tragedy."

"Speaking on behalf of the cast and crew of 'The Dark Knight Rises,' I would like to express our profound sorrow at the senseless tragedy that has befallen the entire Aurora community," he said in a statement released by his publicist today. "I would not presume to know anything about the victims of the shooting but that they were there last night to watch a movie. I believe movies are one of the great American art forms and the shared experience of watching a story unfold on screen is an important and joyful pastime.

"The movie theatre is my home," he said, "and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me. Nothing any of us can say could ever adequately express our feelings for the innocent victims of this appalling crime, but our thoughts are with them and their families."

Warner Bros. also removed the trailer for the Ryan Gosling film "Gangster Squad," which features a movie theater shooting scene, from screenings of "The Dark Knight Rises." The studio pulled some TV ads for the Batman film, according to Bloomberg News.

The studio does not plan to pull the movie from theaters, but canceled the Paris premiere of the film after learning about the shooting. Nolan and cast members Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway and Morgan Freeman also scrapped media interviews.

Despite the tragedy, movie industry watchers say the film is likely to do well at the box office over the weekend.

"This is an unprecedented situation, but I believe the true fans still want to see this movie," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Hollywood.com's box office division. "The people who bought their tickets online, who opted for the presale, I don't see them giving up their tickets."

Much of the weekend has been pre-sold; the movie made $30 million in presale tickets and shows in many cities are sold out through Sunday. That $30 million will get factored into today's numbers, which are expected to be released Saturday morning.

Some box-office analysts previously believed the final installment of director Christopher Nolan's trilogy could top the record-breaking, $207.4 million debut of "The Avengers." Dergarabedian thinks something in the more modest but still impressive range of $150 million is likely.

Page
  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...