How to Get Your Unclaimed Money Back


If you think you have lost a savings bond and have record of the serial numbers, the Bureau of Public Debt ( can look up their status. Also, bonds that are lost, stolen, mutilated, or destroyed can be replaced free of charge as long as the Bureau of the Public Debt can establish that the bonds have not been cashed.

Finally, can you give some parting tips on how you can keep your assets from going unclaimed?
Keep accurate and current records of bank accounts, insurance policies, stock certificates, utility and rent deposits, and safe deposit box locations.

Keep accounts active through customer-initiated contact with the holders of your property, through activity on your account — not merely the accrual of interest.

Notify a family member or trusted advisor of the location of your records.

Notify all institutions every time you move.

  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...