1 stick of butter
2 cups of yellow onion, diced
2 cups of celery, diced
½ cup of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
¼ cup of fresh sage, chopped
1 tablespoon of fresh thyme, chopped
1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary, chopped
1 teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
7 cups of cubed corn bread (either store-bought or made with recipe below)
5 cups of cubed white bread
1 to 1½ cups of chicken stock
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions and celery, and cook until vegetables are soft, but not browned. This should take about 20 minutes. Add herbs, salt and pepper. Stir, and continue to cook for one minute. Let cool.
3. In a large bowl, combine the cubed white bread, corn bread, and the vegetable mixture. Toss together gently with a rubber spatula. Add chicken stock while slowly continuing to toss with the rubber spatula.
4. Stuff the bird and roast immediately, or place in a 9-by-13 inch oven-proof casserole dish.
5. Bake for 35 minutes to 45 minutes until heated through and golden brown.
Corn bread Recipe
2 sticks of softened unsalted butter
2 large eggs
¼ cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of baking powder
2 teaspoon of.baking soda
1 cup of bleached flour
1 cup of medium grind cornmeal
½ cup of butter milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Butter a 10-by-15-by-1-inch baking pan.
3. In an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix the butter and sugar until blended. Add eggs one at a time until incorporated.
4. Sift together salt, baking powder, baking soda, flour and cornmeal into a large bowl. Add to the butter mixture. Mix on low speed, scraping down sides of bowl until just combined. Add buttermilk and mix on low until just incorporated.
5. Spread evenly on baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes until golden and firm to the touch. Cool completely and then cube (for stuffing.) This can be done one day ahead of time.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Karen Pickus, "Good Morning America."