Texas Playground Spontaneously Combusts

Intense heat caused an elementary school playground in Arlington, Texas, to literally burst into flames last week.

A surveillance video showed black smoke billowing from the flames as firefighters rushed to the scene to extinguish the blaze.

School officials said 99 degree temperatures caused wood chips on the ground to spontaneously combust.

This latest incident is proof that during extreme heat, playgrounds can quickly become danger zones. And with 14 states currently sweating through temperatures of more than 100 degrees, parents have good reason to worry.

Two years ago, during 100-degree weather in Oklahoma City, a 2-year-old suffered second-degree burns on his feet after walking barefoot in a playground.

And little Max Weinmeister received second-degree burns on his hands and knees after playing on a recycled tire at a playground in Arizona.

How can you keep your child safe at the playground this summer?

Avoid going barefoot — experts recommend kids keep their shoes on at all times.

Parents should get immediate help if a child's skin is hot to the touch.

Touch the equipment your child will be playing on to make sure it won't burn them.

Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...