'Barefoot Bandit' Busted: Arrest Draws Cheers, Sympathy

This weekend's arrest of "Barefoot Bandit" Colton Harris-Moore drew big cheers in the Pacific Northwest where some of his alleged victims had spent two years waiting for justice and shaking their heads at the throngs of fans that supported the 19-year-old fugitive.

"It's great. It's exciting," said Orcas Island, Wash., business owner Kyle Ater, believed to be a 'Barefoot Bandit' victim. "He looks pretty pitiful now, being led away in handcuffs."

VIDEO: Barefoot Bandit nabbed in Bahamas
'Barefoot Bandit' Teen Colton Harris-Moore Arrested in Bahamas

Harris-Moore is awaiting a court hearing in a Bahamian jail cell after his years on the run came ended Sunday with a high-speed boat chase and police shoot-out, during which Harris-Moore appeared to consider killing himself before surrendering to authorities.

Ater, said he was gathering produce on Sunday for his store "and phone calls start pouring in."

"He needs to pay for the crimes he's committed," said Ater, who believes Harris-Moore broke into his Homegrown Market & Gourmet Delicatessen on Feb. 11. "It would be nice if they would extradite him and send him back."

Legal experts say Harris-Moore will likely be extradited to the United States after he faces charges in the Bahamas.

The Associated Press today quoted Bahamian Police Commissioner Ellison Greenslade as saying that Harris-Moore would stand trial on weapons possession and other charges, some of them likely to include his suspected involvement in a string of burglaries there.

He is expected to appear in court Tuesday.

Seattle defense attorney John Henry Browne, who said he's been hired by Harris-Moore's mother, did not return messages seeking comment, but told ABC's Seattle affiliate KOMO that he would like to see the numerous local and federal charges against the teen be consolidated in federal court in Seattle.

Browne told the affiliate that he has been in contact with the U.S. consulate in the Bahamas.

'Barefoot Bandit' Spent Last Moments of Freedom in Panic

"He was, I think, upset, but understandably," Browne said of Harris-Moore. "I think he's doing OK."

The bandit's last moments of freedom on the island of Eleuthera appeared to have been filled with panic, according to Kenny Strachan security director of the Romora Bay Marina where the teen was taken into custody.

Strachan told ABCNews.com today that he first spotted a teen, who he initially didn't recognize, racing away from the boats towards the exit of the marina. Strachan caught up with him and realized that it was the same teenager whose face had been plastered all over the Bahamas.

And then he saw that Harris-Moore was fleeing with a gun.

"He told me someone tried to hold him hostage or kill him," Strachan said, describing how he tried to talk to Harris-Moore while running alongside him, all the while keeping an eye on that gun.

"He didn't have on his shoes at that time -- he was running bare feet," he said.

"I tried to explain to him that no one was trying to hurt him," Strachan continued. "He said, 'Man they're trying to kill me.'"

When Harris-Moore raced out of his reach, Strachan said he ran back to his post and called police, telling them "the bandit is here with me." When they discovered that Harris-Moore had snaked his way back to the marina and climbed aboard a boat with the keys left inside, police borrowed a boat from a marina patron and took off after him.

"There were shots fired. They gave him a warning shot. And he had his gun too," Strachan said.

  • 1
  • |
  • 2
  • |
  • 3
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...
See It, Share It
PHOTO: The probable path of Hurricane Fred is seen in a graphic released by the NWS National Hurricane Center, Aug. 31, 2015.
NWS National Hurricane Center
PHOTO: Kanye West accepts the Vanguard Award onstage during the 2015 MTV Video Music Awards at Microsoft Theater on August 30, 2015 in Los Angeles, California.
Christopher Polk/MTV1415/Getty Images
PHOTO: Director Wes Craven attends the screening of Life Itself at the ArcLight Cinemas, June 26, 2014, in Hollywood, Calif.
Paul Archuleta/FilmMagic/Getty Images