Ex-'Survivor' Producer Bruce Beresford-Redman Back Home With Children After Wife's Killing

Bruce Beresford-Redman, the former "Survivor" producer whose wife was slain during the couple's vacation in Cancun, Mexico, last month, was seen walking into his upscale California home in Rancho Palos Verdes Monday, days after Mexican authorities said he left the country without their knowledge.

An ABC News camera recorded Beresford-Redman driving into the garage of the home he once shared with his wife, Monica Beresford-Redman, for the first time since she died under mysterious circumstances.

VIDEO: Murder in Cancun: Bruce Is Back
Bruce Beresford-Redman Back in L.A.

When asked how he was holding up, Beresford-Redman replied, "I don't even know how to answer that question."

He was seen pitching a tent in the backyard while the couple's two young children watched.

His attorneys have said he left to avoid spending months, if not years, in jail while Mexican authorities build their case. He has yet to be charged with any crimes, but Mexican authorities have named him as a person of interest in his wife's death.

An attorney for Monica Beresford-Redman's sisters issued a statement saying, "the family is in shock."

"We plead that if he intends to run again that he not involve the children," the statement read.

VIDEO: Producer Wanted for Questioning in Murder
Questioned Reality TV Producer Bruce Beresford-Redman Leaves Mexico

Monica Beresford-Redman's sister, Jeane Burgos, now back in Los Angeles, told ABC News while she was in Cancun that "there is a part of me that was sorry I wasn't able to be there for her, to save her.

"But I want her to know," she said, "we are going to do everything, everything that it takes."

At a probate court hearing Monday for his wife's estate, Bruce Beresford-Redman's father, David, confirmed for the judge that his son was back in Los Angeles but said he didn't know precisely where.

"Legally speaking he's a free man and he doesn't have any obligation whatsoever to stay in Cancun," Jaime Cansino Leon, one of Beresford-Redman's criminal lawyers in Mexico City, told ABC News. "Bruce has not been accused of any crime. Therefore, he's innocent."

Monica Beresford-Redman's body was found April 8 in a sewer at the posh Cancun resort where she had been staying with her husband and their children.

Beresford-Redman's Los Angeles attorney, Richard Hirsch, told ABC News earlier that his client "has returned to Los Angeles County to be with his children and attend to family and personal matters."

Cansino Leon echoed Hirsch's remarks. "Right now his main concerns are his two children. And they have been all this time," he said. "When these tragic events happened he preferred to send them to the States to be with his parents. And right now he's determined to get the custody of them and his main concern right now are...his two little children."

Hollywood Producer's Return to U.S. Raises Eyebrows

In the eyes of the Mexican authorities and Monica's family, however, Beresford-Redman remains the prime suspect in the case.

Authorities said shortly after Monica Beresford-Redman's death that Bruce had been told not to leave Mexico pending the outcome of the investigation.

Mexican authorities also seized his passport in the days after his wife's body was found in a hotel sewer, but according to the Department of Homeland Security website, only U.S. citizens entering the United States by air must show a passport. Citizens entering by land and or sea can show several other types of documents, including an enhanced driver's license.

Page
  • 1
  • |
  • 2
  • |
  • 3
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...