Survivors Say Fort Hood Gunman Shot the Wounded Again

Photo: Fort Hood Shooter Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan Calm, Methodical During Massacre: Alleged Gunman Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan Paralyzed

Survivors of the Fort Hood massacre described today how Major Nidal Malik Hasan allegedly gunned down unarmed soldiers, and then shot them again as they lay wounded on the floor.

Investigators believe more than 100 shots were fired from Hasan's gun in a matter of minutes. He was described as calm and methodical in his attack, pausing only to reload.

VIDEO: KEARA BONO speaks out about the tragedy at fort hood

Soldier Keara Bono survived the onslaught although she was wounded slightly in the back and grazed in the head.

Bono told "Good Morning America" today that she initially thought the scene of Hasan standing up, praising Allah and starting to fire was a drill. She didn't believe it was real even when she felt her own blood, she said.

"Then I looked to my left and right and I saw people that were bleeding," she said. That's when Bono realized that Hasan's rampage wasn't a drill.

"I started crawling, I called 911 with my phone to my side... and I turned back and looked at him. He was about two body lengths away from me, longways, shooting people on the ground still. So I was just waiting to get shot in the back," she said.

Bono instead made it to a cubicle and around the corner out of sight where a sergeant and other soldiers were hiding.

The sergeant "was telling us to see over the cubicles which way the man was going. We were shuffling back and forth. As soon as I heard him stop firing, I ran out the front door," she said.

Grant Moxon of Wisconsin was one of the first to be hit, but he survived Hasan's killing rage by playing dead until the shooting was over.

Moxon's father, Dave, told "GMA" that his son came face to face with the alleged killer.

"He said he looked up, and this guy is standing there looking at him right in the face. All of a sudden, he pulled up a gun and started shooting," Dave Moxon said.

The shooting didn't stop until police Sgt. Kimberly Munley knocked Hasan down in a brief, viscious gun battle.

President Obama Baffled By Fort Hood Rampage

Dr. W. Roy Smythe of Scott and White Memorial Hospital, where some of the most severely injured patients were treated, said today that "some of the injuries are so severe only time will tell how they'll do in the long run."

The doctor said some of the wounded would be "physically impaired," while others would be "psychologically impaired" as a result of the shooting.

Hasan remains at a military hospital in nearby San Antonio where source say he is paralyzed from his injuries. Munley, also remains hospitalized.

Thirteen people were killed in the attack – 12 soldiers and one civilian – and another 38 were injured. Late Friday, Army Col. John Rossi said 23 people were still hospitalized, half of those in critical condition.

A Pentagon official told ABC News that the bodies were flown to Dover where combat deaths from Iraq and Afghanistan are traditionally taken. The Fort Hood victims were greeted at Dover by Admiral Mike Mullen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

At Dover, the bodies will undergo autopsies there and be prepared for burial before being returned to Fort Hood either today or Sunday.

"We view these soldiers as warriors just like those killed in a war zone… We don't want anyone to think of them as just having been gunned down in a mass shooting," the Pentagon official said.

In his weekly address today, President Obama said the fact that U.S. soldiers were targeted made the attack was particularly heinous.

  • 1
  • |
  • 2
  • |
  • 3
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...