Ingredients for Base:
• Scant 1/4 cup dark brown sugar • 1 1/3 cups confectioners' sugar • scant 1/4 cup unsalted butter • 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
Ingredients for topping:
• 7 ounces milk chocolate • 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
You will also need: a 9-inch square pan, greased.
Directions for Base:
1. Stir all the ingredients for the base together until smooth.
2. I use the paddle attachments to my mixer, which my children love operating, but a bowl and a wooden spoon will do the job just as well.
3. You will find, either way, that some of the dark brown sugar stays in rubbly but very small, lumps, but don't worry about that.
4. Press the sandy mixture into the brownie pan and make the surface as even as possible.
Directions for Topping:
1. To make the topping, melt the chocolates and butter together (in a microwave for ease, for a minute or two on medium) and spread the base.
2. Put the pan in the refrigerator to set. When the chocolate has hardened, cut into small squares — because, more-ish as it undeniably is, it is also very rich.
Makes approximately 48.
Recipe courtesy of Nigella Lawson, from How To Be A Domestic Goddess, copyright 2001.