George Anthony, grandfather of the late Caylee Anthony, joined the family of missing 5-year-old Haleigh Cummings Thursday to support them, Anthony's attorney, Brad Conway, told ABC News.
"He wanted to go and comfort the family," Conway said. "He saw Haleigh's father on TV. Anyone could see the anguish on his face. George particularly related to that. He felt like he had to go."
In a case that garnered national attention, George Anthony's granddaughter, Caylee, disappeared in June of last year. After six months of desperate searching, Caylee's body was discovered less than a mile from the Anthony home in Orlando.
Along with George Anthony, the search for Cummings, which began after the girl disappeared from her father's Satsuma, Fla., home Tuesday, has attracted several familiar faces from the Anthony case. Police are treating the investigation as an abduction.
Leonard Padilla, the California bounty hunter who bailed Caylee's mother, Casey Anthony, out of jail during the Caylee case, arrived in Satsuma Tuesday and has offered a $25,000 reward if the child is returned by midnight Saturday.
"I'm doing it because I think the child's alive," Padilla told ABC News.
The reward comes with no questions asked. "Money for the child. Alive," he said.
Texas EquuSearch, headed by founder and director Tim Miller, is organizing a civilian search effort, much like the one that drew thousands of searchers for Caylee, according to a report by the Orlando Sentinel.
According to Conway, George Anthony is attempting to use his notoriety to bring attention to Haleigh's case, but realizes such a strategy could be a double-edged sword.
"[The Anthonys] have been working behind the scenes for the last few days," Conway said. "They have been contacting people in the media to publicize it. But nobody wants to detract from the search effort. They don't want this to turn into a George and Cindy story with that girl still missing up there."
Conway said Anthony is not looking for redemption in finding this little girl, at least not yet. "That's what he's going to be thinking, 'I lost my little girl, but we found this one,'" Conway said.
But, until she's found, Conway insisted he's "not thinking of himself."
"I'm sure he wants to see the joy on [Haleigh's parents'] faces when they find her," he said.
After the remains of his granddaughter were identified in December, George Anthony took the news especially hard. In January, police found him in a Daytona motel on the brink of suicide.
Conway is desperately hoping, for George's sake, that Haleigh's case ends differently.
"My concern is, if this is another tragic end, how is he going to handle that?" Conway said. "Given what he's been through, and " target="_blank">recent hospitalization, I worry about that."
Florida police are treating the disappearance of 5-year-old Haleigh Sheffield as an abduction, investigators said Thursday, after concluding she did not simply wander off alone.
"All the world is a suspect," Detective John Merchant of the Putnam County Sheriff's Office told reporters. "We are going to treat everybody, every family member, every associate, like a suspect until we eliminate them."
As police launched a massive search effort that included divers and K-9 units, Haleigh's mother, Crystal Sheffield, begged for her daughter's return.