What Do I Do If I Think A Friend Or Family Member Is Depressed?

Question: What do I do if I think a friend or family member is depressed?

Answer: If you get the sense that a family member or a friend is suffering from depression, don't hesitate to sit down with that person and talk to them. The only exception being if you're afraid they'll be impulsive or hurt themselves -- become suicidal -- in which case you would proceed first to bring them to a licensed mental health professional -- a psychiatrist, psychologist, social worker, or if necessary to your family practitioner.

If you can talk to them first, tell them what you see. Tell them that you feel badly that they feel that way and you want to help them to get help. And help them make an appointment and go with them to see that family practitioner or that psychiatrist or psychologist or social worker who will then help you and them to deal with the depression.

Next: Does A Family History Of Depression Increase The Risk For My Developing Depression?


Previous: What Do I Do If I Think I Am Depressed?
-- This embed didnt make it to copy for story id = 4359546. -- This embed didnt make it to copy for story id = 4359546. -- This embed didnt make it to copy for story id = 4359546.
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...
See It, Share It
Yasuyoshi Chibaa/AFP/Getty Images
PHOTO: Patrick Crawford is pictured in this photo from his Facebook page.
Meteorologist Patrick Crawford KCEN/Facebook
PHOTO: Jamie Foxx on Dec. 4, 2014, in New York. | Whitney Houston on Feb. 12, 2011 in Beverly Hills, Calif.
Evan Agostini/Invision/AP Photo | Steve Granitz/Getty Images