When Antonio Benedi of Springfield, Va., felt a case of the flu coming on one weekend in February 1993, he did what millions of others do -- he reached for a common over-the-counter pain medication.
"I was taking Tylenol like I was supposed to, by the label," he said.
A few days later the then 37-year-old Benedi was in a coma and in desperate need of a liver transplant.
Benedi, like hundreds of Americans each year, experienced acute liver failure as a result of taking acetaminophen, the most commonly used painkiller in the country today. Many of these cases are due to either intentional or unintentional overdose. Past research also suggests that combining the medication with alcoholic beverages increases the risk of liver damage.
But Benedi, who was formerly a special assistant to President George H.W. Bush, said that while he did take the medicine on a mostly empty stomach, he neither overdosed on acetaminophen, nor had an alcoholic beverage while he was taking the drug. He said he did occasionally enjoy a glass of wine, but never while taking acetaminophen.
"It's not the mixing of the two; I never misused anything," he said. "I took Tylenol as recommended for three days. By Monday night, my liver was failing. By the time I reached the hospital I was near death."
Today, Benedi, now 53, is still living with the transplanted liver he received 16 years ago. Three years ago he required a kidney transplant as well -- a result of the damage that his organs sustained from the anti-rejection drugs he had to take after his liver transplant. And now this transplanted kidney may be failing as well.
On Wednesday, a U.S. Food and Drug Administration working group released a report urging stronger warnings and stricter dose limits for drugs that, like Tylenol, contain acetaminophen -- and hence may pose an increased risk of liver injury to those who use them improperly.
Among other things, the recommendations call for moving the maximum adult daily dose for acetaminophen to no more than 3,250 milligrams from the current max of 4,000 milligrams per day. The recommendations would also limit the strength of immediate release versions of the drug and place greater controls on the use of acetaminophen in liquid formulations for children.
"While we share the FDA's mutual goal of preventing and decreasing the misuse and overdose of acetaminophen, we have concerns that some of the FDA recommendations could discourage appropriate use and are not necessary to addressing the root causes of acetaminophen overdose," the statement reads.
Still, emergency room doctors are no strangers to acetaminophen overdoses. Dr. Richard O'Brien, a spokesman for the Dallas-headquartered American College of Emergency Physicians, said that such cases are very common is his emergency department -- and not all are intentional overdoses in which patients have tried to commit suicide.
"I do see an occasional overdose where people don't read the label of multiple products," he said. "The combination products where they're taking the equivalent of three times the dose, multiple times a day... acetaminophen is a liver toxin, and I have seen people die of liver failure from it."