Is Proposed Recall on Magnet Toys Unfair?


The Jordans said they bought the desk toy from a local supermarket before Braylon was born and saw the warnings on the package. So when they baby-proofed their house, they made sure to hide the magnets in a cabinet out of his reach, but said they weren't careful enough.

"We didn't say, 'hey Braylon here you go, play with these little beads,'" said Brayton's father, Jonathan Jordan. "Common sense tells you don't have them around kids but yet somehow he found them, a couple had rolled out of sight."

Tips for Parents: What To Do if Your Child Swallows a Magnet

The eight magnets Braylon had swallowed stuck together and ultimately destroyed his intestines. After eight surgeries and one month in the ICU, the rambunctious little boy is now tethered to a feeding tube 18 hours a day, unable to process solid food.

The Jordans have accrued more than $1.5 million in medical bills over the past five months, and Braylon's best hope for a normal life is a rare lower bowel transplant. But his parents said they are not angry with NeoCubes, but at themselves.

"If I had known how dangerous they are, they wouldn't have been in the house at all," Jonathan Jordan said.

Neocubes told "Nightline" they did not want to be responsible for anyone getting hurt, but added, that "there are lots of dangerous products out there, especially if you eat them."

The Consumer Product Safety Commission wants to regulate the production of future magnetic office toy products to make them safer by making magnets larger, so they are more difficult to swallow, and less powerful.

In the meantime, they are determined to get all existing toys out of kids' hands and off store shelves as soon as possible.

For now, Buckyballs can still be purchased in specialty stores and on the company's website. Zucker said he is holding out hope for a compromise.

-- This embed didnt make it to copy for story id = 17075289.
  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...