The White House has slammed the deadly attack in Jakarta that left seven people dead, five of whom were believed to be the suspected perpetrators.
Both the Indonesian government and the White House are calling it a terrorist attack, which involved a string of explosions that also left 23 people injured, five of whom were police personnel.
Other suspects are being pursued by Indonesian authorities, the U.S. Embassy said in a statement.
The ISIS-linked ‘Amaq News Agency claims the group was behind the attacks. Quoting a source, ‘Amaq said "fighters from the Islamic State carried out the attack targeting foreign nationals and security forces tasked with protecting them." There has been no official claim by ISIS.
Of the injured civilians, four are Indonesian citizens and 14 other civilians, officials said.
The U.S. Embassy said there are no Americans among the victims. U.S. citizens are advised to defer all non-essential travel in the city of Jakarta and areas such as malls, restaurants, cinemas and large gatherings should be avoided.
One of the explosions reportedly took place within the vicinity of a Starbucks cafe, with a customer injured and treated at the scene. All employees are safe, the company said.
"We are deeply saddened by the senseless acts that have taken place in Jakarta today; our hearts are with the people of Indonesia." a statement from Starbucks read.
Video yang tersebar di grup WhatsApp tentang ledakan bom di Sarinah Thamrin Jakarta pic.twitter.com/pVkZiciC1d— Pujiono JS™ (@PujionoJS) January 14, 2016
It also confirmed that all its Jakarta stores would be closed until further notice.
Bert Koenders, foreign minister of the Netherlands, said on social media that a Dutch man had been seriously injured in the attack.
Koenders tweeted, "Again terror shows its ugly face, and again innocent persons are the victim'"