U.N. Approves Gaza Cease-Fire Plan

More than 750 Palestinians, 245 of which are children, and 14 Israelis, have been killed in nearly two weeks of fighting between Israel and Hamas.

The violence has prompted the United Nations to suspend its relief efforts in Gaza, citing increased danger to U.N. aid workers in the area. The announcement came today after the United Nations said that the driver of a relief truck was killed after being struck by Israeli tank fire near the Israel-Gaza border.

John Ging, the director of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency, told ABC News, "I am suspending the UNRWA's operations until we are assured the safety of our staff."

The U.N. said the truck driver was picking up relief supplies for a shipment to Gaza and that the delivery had been coordinated with Israel.

Ging added that despite "repeated warnings ... we had a series of security incidents involving UNRWA's convoys and installations and which have placed our staff in jeopardy in the last days."

The Israeli army told ABC News it is investigating the report about the death of the U.N. truck driver.

Earlier this week, nearly 40 people were killed by Israeli mortar fire outside a U.N. school. Israel said its troops had come under fire by militants using the building for cover.

The U.N. action came after Israel announced another temporary cease-fire to allow humanitarian aid into Gaza. Israel had previously said the next humanitarian cease-fire would be Friday but decided around noon to allow for another three-hour cease-fire from 1 to 4 p.m. local time.

The brief cease-fire came despite four rockets evidently fired from Lebanon that landed in northern Israel Thursday. It was the first attack from South Lebanon since the 2006 war between Israel and the militant group Hezbollah.

Hezbollah, whose leader Hassan Nasrallah has threatened Israel daily, or one of the small Palestinian factions in Lebanon, are the prime suspects.

An official with Israel's Northern Command told ABC News the rockets from Lebanon "were presumably fired by Palestinian elements in Lebanon, wishing to drag Israel into war." One missile struck a retirement home injuring two people. The official said, "Israel holds the Lebanese army responsible for thwarting any further hostile activity."

Lebanese Prime Minister Fuad Saniora condemned both the attacks and Israel's retaliatory fire. The attacks are "the work of parties who stand to lose from the continued stability in Lebanon," Saniora said in a statement.

Lebanese officials tell ABC News they are investigating the incident and believe that a total of five rockets were fired into northern Israel by "Palestinian factions" in southern Lebanon.

Israeli investigators say the type of rockets used were older, not the more advanced rocket that Hezbollah has in its arsenal. That fact has led officials to conclude that the attack was meant to provoke Israel into a larger response.

In Gaza today, more horrid descriptions about the carnage inflicted on civilians are emerging. The International Committee for the Red Cross says ambulance drivers who were finally allowed into the Gaza City neighborhood of Zaytun reported finding the dead and wounded unattended.

In one house, they found "four small children next to their dead mother. … They were too weak to stand up on their own," the Red Cross group said. "One man was also found alive, too weak to stand up. In all there were at least 12 corpses lying on mattresses," inside this home.

Page
  • 1
  • |
  • 2
  • |
  • 3
  • |
  • 4
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...